• Ice storm claims life in Kimgdom
     | December 24,2013

    WINOOSKI ó An Albany man died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator that was running after the manís house lost power in the weekendís ice storm, police said Monday.

    More than 7,500 Vermont households and businesses remained without power late Monday afternoon as utility crews repaired lines damaged by ice buildup and tree limbs downed when the storm swept through Saturday night into Sunday.

    Green Mountain Power was reporting fewer than 1,000 outages, most in the Winooski area. Thatís down from about 5,700 earlier in the day. Vermont Electric Cooperative was reporting about 6,600 outages, down from about 9,000. Some of the outages might linger past Christmas.

    The storm is responsible for 11 deaths nationwide, including traffic accidents, drownings and Mondayís carbon monoxide death in Albany.

    Police were called to the manís house early Monday and found the occupant dead and a generator running.

    His name was not immediately released. Based on an initial investigation and a preliminary autopsy report, it was determined the man died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Vermont officials said they received half a dozen reports of carbon monoxide poisoning in one day, the number they usually get in a typical winter.

    Safety officials remind users to never run a generator or use a grill to cook indoors and keep outdoor generators away from windows, doors or other areas where exhaust can vent back into a living area.

    Gov. Peter Shumlin said emergency shelters will remain open at North Country High School in Newport, Enosburg High School, and the Barton Village Office.

    MORE IN This Just In
    MONTPELIER ó Maralina Moore tucked away the game-winning goal on a 20-yard free kick in the 68th... Full Story
    HARDWICK ó The fourth-seeded Wildcats were on their heels at halftime before rallying with a pair... Full Story
    BRISTOL ó Goals from Brynne Quirion, Kia Cormier and Kyle Marie Heckler helped the red-hot... Full Story
    More Articles
    • VIDEOS
    • PHOTOS