Ice storm claims life in Kimgdom
WINOOSKI — An Albany man died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator that was running after the man’s house lost power in the weekend’s ice storm, police said Monday.
More than 7,500 Vermont households and businesses remained without power late Monday afternoon as utility crews repaired lines damaged by ice buildup and tree limbs downed when the storm swept through Saturday night into Sunday.
Green Mountain Power was reporting fewer than 1,000 outages, most in the Winooski area. That’s down from about 5,700 earlier in the day. Vermont Electric Cooperative was reporting about 6,600 outages, down from about 9,000. Some of the outages might linger past Christmas.
The storm is responsible for 11 deaths nationwide, including traffic accidents, drownings and Monday’s carbon monoxide death in Albany.
Police were called to the man’s house early Monday and found the occupant dead and a generator running.
His name was not immediately released. Based on an initial investigation and a preliminary autopsy report, it was determined the man died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Vermont officials said they received half a dozen reports of carbon monoxide poisoning in one day, the number they usually get in a typical winter.
Safety officials remind users to never run a generator or use a grill to cook indoors and keep outdoor generators away from windows, doors or other areas where exhaust can vent back into a living area.
Gov. Peter Shumlin said emergency shelters will remain open at North Country High School in Newport, Enosburg High School, and the Barton Village Office.MORE IN This Just InCASTLETON — Rutland Post 31 pitcher Andy Kenosh called it “mojo. Full StoryRUTLAND — More than 26,000 people were without power when severe thunderstorms rolled through the... Full StoryNORTHFIELD — A Norwich University professor has been awarded a research fellowship to support her... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed