• Hot ashes caused Lyndonville fire
    April 27,2013
     

    Hot ashes caused

    Lyndonville blaze

    LYNDONVILLE — Fire investigators said Lyndonville fire that destroyed a farmhouse and a nearby garage started because a pail of hot fireplace ashes was left too close to the house.

    The Jewell Hill Road house and adjacent garage with an upstairs apartment were destroyed by the Wednesday afternoon fire.

    Police said homeowner Bryan Smith suffered minor burns trying to extinguish the fire.

    The buildings are considered a total loss. Damage was estimated at almost $270,000.

    Lyndonville Fire Chief Greg Hopkins said windy conditions and lack of water made fighting the fire difficult. Sparks ignited a grass fire a quarter-mile away.

    MORE IN Vermont News
    MONTPELIER — Tuesday’s primary was marked by low voter turnout and slow, tedious counting by... Full Story
    Milne wins GOP; turnout low
    MONTPELIER — State Auditor Doug Hoffer said Monday that his office is planning to audit the... Full Story
    KILLINGTON — Two men have been cited by state game wardens for allegedly illegally shooting two... Full Story
    More Articles
  •  
     
    • MEDIA GALLERY 
    • VIDEOS
    • PHOTOS