• Hot ashes caused Lyndonville fire
    April 27,2013
     

    Hot ashes caused

    Lyndonville blaze

    LYNDONVILLE — Fire investigators said Lyndonville fire that destroyed a farmhouse and a nearby garage started because a pail of hot fireplace ashes was left too close to the house.

    The Jewell Hill Road house and adjacent garage with an upstairs apartment were destroyed by the Wednesday afternoon fire.

    Police said homeowner Bryan Smith suffered minor burns trying to extinguish the fire.

    The buildings are considered a total loss. Damage was estimated at almost $270,000.

    Lyndonville Fire Chief Greg Hopkins said windy conditions and lack of water made fighting the fire difficult. Sparks ignited a grass fire a quarter-mile away.

    MORE IN Vermont News
    The Vermont Agency of Transportation has decided to yank a new seat belt safety ad from the... Full Story
    State pulls seat belt safety ad
    “Vermont is still at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to state support for higher education. Full Story
    MONTPELIER — Incumbents, first-timers and perennial candidates have filed paperwork with their... Full Story
    Vt. candidates file for Senate, House races
    More Articles
  •  
     
    • MEDIA GALLERY 
    • VIDEOS
    • PHOTOS