MORETOWN — The owner of the Moretown Landfill has filed an appeal with the state’s environmental court seeking to overturn the state’s decision denying the landfill recertification.
The paperwork was filed Friday, the same day the landfill shut its gates as landfill officials said they were preparing for the appeal.
Last month, the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources denied the landfill certification to keep operating its nearly full Cell 3, citing odor problems and groundwater pollution.
Moretown’s Select Board chairman, Tom Martin, said Monday the landfill pays the town around $500,000 each year in tipping fees and property taxes. That accounts for a major piece of the town’s $1.1 million budget. Martin said tax rates in town could be raised “significantly” if the landfill is closed.
To help keep that from happening, Martin said he plans to petition the Legislature for a “soft landing,” where he hopes the state will chip in to ease the burden on Moretown taxpayers. Martin said the state bears some responsibility for the issues the landfill has had. He said the state “dropped the ball” by not enforcing rules along the way and that while it may have cited the landfill from time to time, it never followed up on those violations.
George Desch, the director of the Agency of Natural Resources Waste Management and Prevention Division, sent the letter denying certification to Advanced Disposal, the company that owns and operates the landfill. Desch could not be reached for comment Monday.
A pretrial conference will be held by telephone with the environmental court May 20.MORE IN Central VermontMONTPELIER — Secretary of State Jim Condos said Thursday that Iberdrola Renewables’ offer to make... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed