• Family squabbles add intrigue to lotto winner death
     | January 13,2013
    AP File Photo

    This June 2012 photo shows Urooj Khan, center, holding a ceremonial check for $1 million as winner of an Illinois instant lottery. Khan, 46, died from cyanide poisoning July 20, 2012, just days before he was to collect his winnings.

    CHICAGO ó In the week since news surfaced that a Chicago man was poisoned to death with cyanide just before he was to collect a lottery payout, surprising details about his convoluted family saga have trickled out daily.

    Urooj Khanís widow and siblings fought for months over the businessmanís estate, including the lottery check. His father-in-law owed tens of thousands of dollars in taxes. His 17-year-old daughter from a previous marriage had moved out of her stepmomís home and into his sisterís after his death. Then his ex-wife came forward, announcing in anguish that she hadnít seen her daughter in more than a decade and hadnít even known she was still in the U.S.

    The slowly emerging family backstory and ever-expanding cast of characters have added layers of intrigue to a baffling case in which authorities have revealed little and everyone is wondering: Whodunit?

    The victimís relatives hint at family squabbles. And Khanís wife, Shabana Ansari, has endured clutches of reporters outside the family home and business, asking even whether it was a lamb or beef curry dinner she made for Khan the night he died.

    ďSheís just as curious as anyone else to get to the bottom of what caused her husbandís death,Ē said Al-Haroon Husain, who is representing Ansari in the case that will divide up Khanís estate, including the $425,000 in lottery winnings.

    Ansari and other relatives have denied any role in his death and expressed a desire to learn the truth.

    Authorities remain tightlipped about whom they may suspect. In the coming weeks, they plan to exhume the 46-year-old Indian immigrantís body, which might allow investigators to determine exactly how he was poisoned and to gather more evidence for any possible trial.

    Khan seemed to be living the American dream. He had come to the U.S. from his home in Hyderabad, India, in 1989, setting up several dry-cleaning businesses and buying into some real-estate investments.

    Despite having foresworn gambling after a pilgrimage to Mecca in 2010, Khan bought a ticket in June. He jumped ďtwo feet in the airĒ and shouted, ďI hit a million,Ē he recalled at a lottery ceremony later that month.

    He said winning the lottery meant everything to him and that he planned to use his winnings to pay off mortgages, expand his business and donate to St. Judeís Childrenís Research Hospital.

    He was just days from receiving his winnings when he died before dawn July 20.

    The night before, Khan ate dinner with his wife, daughter and father-in-law in their house in Chicagoís North Side neighborhood of West Rogers Park, home to many immigrants from India and Pakistan.

    Sometime that night, Khan awoke feeling ill and collapsed as he tried to get up from a chair, his wife has said, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

    ďI was shattered. I canít believe heís no longer with me,Ē a tearful Ansari, 32, told The Associated Press.

    With no outward sign of trauma, authorities initially determined Khan died of natural causes. But a concerned relative ó whose identity remains a mystery ó came forward with suspicions and asked authorities to take a closer look.

    Further toxicology tests found a lethal amount of cyanide in his blood, leading the medical examiner in November to reclassify the death a homicide. The Chicago Tribune first reported the story Monday, and reporters descended on one of the familyís dry-cleaning businesses.

    The revelations followed, instilling the family tragedy with soap opera-like suspense that even attracted reporters from overseas.

    Khan died without a will, opening the door to a court battle.

    Under Illinois law, the money should be divided evenly between his wife and daughter, but Husain says the manís three siblings kept asking whether they had rights to the money. In their filings, Khanís siblings accused Ansari of trying to cash the lottery check and expressed concern his daughter would not get her fair share.

    A judge has made Ansari the administrator until a ruling on how to divide the assets.

    Khanís sister, Meraj Khan, and her husband, Mohammed Zaman, told reporters Friday that they had no suspicions before the fuller toxicology results showed cyanide poisoning.

    Zaman then added yet another puzzling wrinkle: Ansari is a vegetarian and therefore would not have eaten the lamb curry she prepared for her husband the night he fell ill. Ansari has repeatedly said she, Khan, her father and Khanís daughter all ate the same meal.

    Authorities have not said how they think Khan ingested the cyanide, which can be swallowed, inhaled or injected.

    Detectives questioned Ansari for more than four hours at a police station in November and searched the family home.

    Around the same time, Ansariís stepdaughter, Jasmeen, decided to go live with Khanís sister, who had won guardianship of the teen.

    ďOf course she was upset,Ē Husain said of Ansariís reaction. ďAt the same time, I think she wants to move forward with her life. ... With her stepchild, her in-laws, she doesnít want to really have anything to do with them. Thereís some great animosities between the two.Ē

    And then thereís Ansariís father. A few months before Khanís death, two federal tax liens were filed against his father-in-law, Fareedun Ansari. He owed $124,600, according to the Cook County Recorder of Deeds.

    Finally, Khanís ex-wife and Jasmeenís mother emerged. Now remarried, living in South Bend, Ind., and going by the name of Maria Jones, she told the Chicago Sun-Times she last saw her daughter 13 years ago, when she says Khan took the girl to India. The distraught woman said she didnít know the girl was in the U.S. and she hoped to reconnect with her.

    ďI donít know if she knows Iím still alive,Ē she told the newspaper, sobbing during a phone interview. ďI thought she was in India all these years.Ē

    MORE IN This Just In
    NEW YORK ó While Hollywood continued to wrestle with the fallout of the Sony hacking scandal, the... Full Story
    In this season of hope and joy, it was sobering to me last night to see on the evening news a... Full Story
    More Articles
    • VIDEOS
    • PHOTOS