Barre pupils are charged with new school threats
BARRE — Two students from Barre City Elementary and Middle School were charged in Barre juvenile court Wednesday in connection with threatening messages left at the school.
One message was found in the bathroom at the school, and the building was evacuated at 10:15 a.m. Wednesday.
A search found nothing out of the ordinary, and students and teachers were allowed to resume their day.
A student admitted to leaving the message, according to Barre police.
Later that day, a similar message was found in a bathroom, and officials immediately determined who had written it, police said.
Both students were referred to Barre juvenile court and will be disciplined by the school, police said. They did not release the name, age or gender of either student.
A Spaulding High School student was arraigned on similar charges in Barre juvenile court April 5. Police say that 15-year-old student was responsible for several bomb threats to Barre schools and U-32 in East Montpelier. The student faces up to seven counts of making false public alarms.
According to state statute, the first offense of making false public alarms carries a maximum sentence of two years in prison or a $5,000 fine. For a second or later offense, the maximum sentence is five years in prison or a $10,000 fine.MORE IN This Just InA federal judge who last year nullified the conviction and death sentence imposed on Donald Fell... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- MEDIA GALLERY