School briefly evacuatedApril 11,2012
BARRE — An odor emanating from an overheated second-floor photocopier forced the evacuation of Barre City Elementary and Middle School shortly after noon on Tuesday.
Students were instructed to go to their classrooms and get their coats and warned that Principal James Taffel would be pulling the fire alarm at approximately 12:05 p.m.
The building was evacuated by the time the first fire truck and two firefighters arrived on scene about five minutes later. The ladder truck and a third firefighter arrived at approximately 12:15 p.m. while students and staff were still patiently waiting for the building to be cleared.
School officials said the odor was quickly traced to the copier, though some staff members briefly worried the problem might be more severe when a third fire truck, an ambulance and a pickup truck — all with lights flashing and sirens blaring — came screaming up the hill to the school at approximately 12:35 p.m. Within moments of their arrival the building was cleared and the school day resumed.MORE IN This Just InMONTPELIER — The city has released a statement defending its response to recent overflow issues, ... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed