South Korean Army soldiers watch a news program that shows North Korea’s Unha-3 rocket at Seoul train station in Seoul, South Korea, on Monday.
SEOUL, South Korea — Recent satellite images show North Korea is digging a new underground tunnel in what appears to be preparation for a third nuclear test, according to South Korean intelligence officials.
The excavation at North Korea’s northeast Punggye-ri site, where nuclear tests were conducted in 2006 and 2009, is in its final stages, according to a report by intelligence officials that was shared Monday with The Associated Press.
Its release comes as North Korea prepares to launch a long-range rocket that Washington and others say is a cover for testing missile technology that could be used to fire on the United States.
Observers fear a repeat of 2009, when international criticism of the North’s last long-range rocket launch prompted Pyongyang to walk away from nuclear disarmament negotiations and, weeks later, conduct its second nuclear test. A year later, 50 South Korean were killed in attacks blamed on the North.
“North Korea is covertly preparing for a third nuclear test, which would be another grave provocation,” said the report, which cited U.S. commercial satellite photos taken April 1. “North Korea is digging up a new underground tunnel at the Punggye-ri nuclear test site, in addition to its existing two underground tunnels, and it has been confirmed that the excavation works are in the final stages.”
Dirt believed to have been brought from other areas is piled at the tunnel entrance, the report said, something experts say it is needed to fill up tunnels before a nuclear test. The dirt indicates a “high possibility” North Korea will stage a nuclear test, the report said, as plugging tunnels was the final step taken during its two previous underground nuclear tests.
U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters she was not in a position to confirm whether North Korea was preparing for a nuclear test after the rocket launch, but she said such actions would only isolate its communist government further.
She said a launch would be “highly provocative” and a nuclear test “would be equally bad, if not worse.”
“They should not be doing either,” she told a news briefing in Washington. “Any of these types of action are just going to isolate them and make it harder for them to be part of the world community and to give their people a better quality of life.”
Nuland said the U.S. was urging China to use its influence with North Korea to dissuade it from going ahead with the launch.
Asked about Japanese and South Korean preparations to shoot down any parts of the rocket that threaten to fall on their territory, Nuland said that countries in the region have the right to “self-defense.”
North Korea announced plans last month to launch an observation satellite using a three-stage rocket during mid-April celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the birth of North Korean founder Kim Il Sung.
The U.S., Japan, Britain and other nations have urged North Korea to cancel the launch, warning that firing the long-range rocket would violate U.N. resolutions and North Korea’s promise to refrain from engaging in nuclear and missile activity.
Nuland declined to specify what consequences Pyongyang might face if the launch goes ahead — although the U.S. has made clear it would terminate its plans to send food aid.MORE IN Wire NewsDETROIT — Hillary Clinton said Monday that Donald Trump’s economic policies would lead to lower... Full StorySEOUL, South Korea — A top North Korean diplomat who negotiated a short-lived 1994 deal with the... Full StoryBALTIMORE — Prosecutors are 0-for-2 in their attempts to hold Baltimore police accountable in the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed